Cupola and plaque, Adelaide Botanic Gardens, SA
The wrought iron Elvis Presley Cupola was officially donated to the Botanic
Gardens of Adelaide on 26/11/1982.
It was designed and handcrafted by Mr R G Howard a great-grandson of Dr
Richard Schomburgk. Dr Schomburgk was the second director of the Adelaide
Botanic Garden from 1865 to 1891 when he died while still holding office.
The cupola is made from Ostend steel which oxides to a given point to form a
protective coating to the steel.The wrought iron features gumleaves, gum
nuts and a bird - the Shrike Tit.
The wording on the plaque reads
"Erected to the memory of Elvis Presley by the Sound of Elvis Society
Information courtesy of the Botanic Gardens & State Herbarium,
North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000